All posts by dfwhse
About a month ago, our staff members were challenged to use our Signature Volcano Print in a project. They were allowed to use whatever else materials they wanted, but the Volcano Print needed to be a focus. Help us decide which of these projects should win the challenge! Voting closes on Saturday, August 24, 2019.
We do our best to keep our list updated, however sometimes we’re not always successful. If you do not receive the postcard by Friday, August 09, 2019, please e-mail us at email@example.com with your name and mailing address. If you have changed your mailing address recently and have not updated it in-store, please do so. This is something you will need to do in-store. If you do not want to receive our physical mailings any longer, please e-mail us with your name and mailing address (so we can verify that we are removing the correct person.)
VIC members, you should have received your 24k Gold Anniversary Mailer in your mailboxes within the last week or so! It’s full of informational articles and lots of amazing sales and specials! If you haven’t received it, or if you’re not a VIC member, you can view the mailer below. (But please note that you need to be a VIC member to take advantage of any of the sales and specials. It’s free to sign up at any of our stores!)
Click on either of the images to be taken to the larger PDF file.
You’re invited to celebrate our 24th Anniversary at our 24k Extravaganza! Throw on your favorite 24k gold outfit and let’s party!
When: Sunday, June 09, 2019
Time: 4PM – 8PM
Where: At all Discount Fabric Warehouse locations (Yes, even Maui will be open for the Party!)
Dress: Yes please! We encourage you to find someone gold and sparkly and get in the celebration mood!
Just a Note: Hilo, Kona, and Kauai will be closing at 2:30PM for party prep. If the doors are closed, please come back at 4PM. Maui will only be open for the party.
The first 100 people in the door will receive an instant win scratch-off Golden Ticket! Every ticket is a winner – but could yours be a Golden Prize?
Tips and Tricks to Making Your Party Experience Awesome!
• Make sure you RSVP by 6PM on Saturday, June 08, 2019! To RSVP text @dfw24k to 81010 from your mobile device. When you check in at the door when you get to the party, you’ll receive a free gift! And yes, if you’re already a member of our text alert list, you still need to RSVP to get the gift! (Standard messaging rates apply. Please check with your mobile carrier for more details. By sending the RSVP text, you are giving us permission to add you to our text alert list and send periodic text messages.)
• Grab a friend or two to come with you! Maybe someone who is just getting into sewing. Or someone who doesn’t see what the big deal of our anniversary parties are. Everyone’s welcome! (Just a note: to take advantage of all of our amazing sales and specials, each person will need to be a VIC member. It’s free and those who are not currently members can sign up at check out!)
• Get in the spirit! We encourage you to dress in an outfit that embraces the 24k Gold theme that we’ve chosen for this year. Grab your gold Hawaiian bracelets! Or pull on some thick gold (or gold-look-alike) chains and come as an old school rapper. Do you have a gold flapper dress from Halloween or maybe a costume party? The possibilities are endless!
• You may want to carpool. Many of our locations have limited parking, so if you’re all coming to the party, you may want to consider coming in one car.
• In the past, we’ve suggested that you take your time and no need to be there early. Well, this year you may want to swing by a bit earlier than your otherwise would have. Remember, at each of our locations, we’ll be giving Golden Ticket scratch off cards to the first 100 people in the door. Each ticket is an instant winner, so you’ll want to make sure to snag one!
• The lines ebb and flow. If you get to the cutting tables and there are lines, take another spin around the store, make sure you got everything you came for, explore areas that you may not have checked out before, maybe even take a machine you’ve been eyeing for a test drive. Then, when the lines have gone down, head to get your fabric cut.
• To take advantage of the sale prices on fabric, make sure you’re purchasing at least one yard cut. While you can request a smaller piece and we are able to fulfill that request (we cut as small as 1/4 of a yard) you will not be able to get any sales prices with anything smaller than 1 yard.
• Think you might be needing assistance that night? Maybe you’re thinking of finding the perfect fabric for a project or maybe you just don’t know where to start on a new project you’re planning on working on this summer. Or maybe you just have a list of things that you’re going to need help finding. If any of these things is the case, you may want to think about possibly coming earlier on Sunday to get the help you need or maybe brainstorming with a friend ahead of time. We unfortunately don’t be able to guarantee that we’ll be able to provide one-on-one assistance during the party. While we’ll definitely do the best we can to make sure you find everything you need/want, please understand that there are so many of you and so few of us.
• Have a great time! Grab some refreshments. Hop in our photo booth and have your picture taken. Check out some fabric or a machine you’ve had your eye on. Get some ideas for your next project. Enjoy yourself!
While we encourage you to use your favorite duffle bag pattern or experiment with a new one, there are a few minimum requirements that we have for any bag donations:
24”x9” or larger, unused, made with new materials suitable for children ages 4 – 16. We suggest making the bags out of canvas as it’s typically sturdier, however lined cotton will work as well.
Patterns and Videos
Need a pattern to get you started? Here’s a simple duffle bag pattern by Jessie to help you out! Click here to download the pattern!
More patterns, videos, and instructions to come!
We’re happy to have Annette Juilly coming to our Hilo store this July and August to lead some interesting classes on garment construction!
Here’s a bit about Annette:
Fashion Design has been in Annette Juilly’s life from a young age. Her grandmother was a
Fashion and Jewelry Designer who came from Oahu to California in her teens. Annette spent a
lot of time with her Grandmother growing up. Her grandmother brought her Aloha with her to
California, as well as her love of colors, design and people.
Annette has been in the Fashion Design Industry for many years working as a Production
Patternmaker, Fashion Designer, Wholesale and Retail Business Owner both in New York City
and San Francisco. She has taught College Classes at Fashion Institute of Design and
Merchandising in San Francisco as well as City College of San Francisco in the Fashion Design
Program for the last eighteen years.
She brings her love of Fashion Design with her to the Big Island. Her passion for clothing, color,
culture, art, teaching and life culminate in her stays on the Islands. Come take a class with
Annette and learn patternmaking with a relaxed and helpful teaching style.
There are three different workshops that you can take (and multiple variations of each) and space is extremely limited, so if you’re interested in any of these workshops, please sign up ASAP by coming into the store or giving us a call! (Please note that your registration is not finalized until payment has been made.)
Copy your Favorite Garment Workshops with Annette Juilly
Do you have a Favorite Shirt, Skirt, Pant, or Dress that you want to recreate in new and exciting
fabrics? Bring your Favorite Shirt to class and learn how to copy your shirt WITHOUT taking it
apart! You will come away with a pattern to recreate your garment in wonderful new fabrics.
This six-hour class gives you the time needed to create a pattern with Annette’s help. Learn
industry tricks and discover helpful supplies. Take one class or all four classes to recreate your
entire wardrobe. Class size limited to eight students. Please bring a sack lunch.
Workshops are also available for instruction in selecting fabric, and cutting and sewing your
new pattern design.
Skirt Workshop – Saturday July 27, 10am-4pm $75 per Workshop
Pant Workshop – Monday July 22, 10am-4pm $75 per Workshop
Dress Workshop – Monday July 29, 10am-4pm $75 per Workshop
Shirt Workshop – Monday August 5, 10am-4pm $75 per Workshop
Dress Workshop – Saturday August 10, 10am-4pm $75 per Workshop
Cut & Sew your Favorite Pattern Design Workshop with Annette Juilly
Bring your pattern you made with Annette’s help in Copy your Favorite Garment Class. Learn
how to select the appropriate Fabric for your new design. Work on your fabric layout and
cutting out the pattern correctly. Receive sewing instructions with Annette’s supervision and
complete your garment with the store’s sewing machines in class. Sewing made easy with an
expert’s help and guidance! Class size limited to eight students. Please bring a sack lunch.
Saturday August 3, 10am-4pm $75 per Workshop
Monday August 12, 10am-4pm $75 per Workshop
Create a Shirt, Pant, Dress OR Skirt Block/Sloper with Annette Juilly
Development and Design of Woven Master Patterns
The Block/Sloper is a Master Pattern that is used to help alter and fit existing patterns for a
custom-tailored look and feel. The basic Block can also be used to pattern draft new original
designs based on your personal fit. With Annette’s help you will develop a basic Block to fit
your measurements from a Master Pattern. To further customize your Block Annette goes over
sleeves, facings, waistbands and pockets. Class size limited to six students. Please bring a sack
Shirt Workshop – Thursday July 18, 10am-4pm $85 per Workshop
Pant Workshop – Thursday July 25, 10am-4pm $85 per Workshop
Dress Workshop – Thursday August 1, 10am-4pm $85 per Workshop
Skirt Workshop – Thursday August 8, 10am-4pm $85 per Workshop
Quilters: LEARN HOW TO ATTACH PERFECT BINDINGS.
Teacher Viv Smith
Cost: $20 & all inclusive kit $15
If you wish to learn how to bind your quilts, table runners or oven pads with perfect bindings, this is the class for you.
This is a hands on workshop, with all sandwiches, binding fabrics and written instructions provided to maximize your learning time.
1) Learn to start, attach and finish perfectly, a double fold French mitered binding to a quilt sandwich. We not only apply it to 90° corners, but other angles as well.
2) Learn to attach different binding widths from 2 ¼” to 6” wide.
3) Learn to finish your binding with both the hand stitching technique and the quicker machine walking foot technique.
4) Learn how to add a narrow phalange to the edge of a quilt, before binding, to add some sparkle.
Supply list: Sewing machine with additional walking foot. (Unless you are booking a DFW machine.) Bring a few basic colored machine spools of threads. Hand sewing machine needle, pins and scissors.
If you wish to use a store machine rather than bringing your own, please let us know when you register for the class.
Our newest VIC mailer is headed your way! Be on the lookout for it in your mailboxes this week!